|The last of my garden last summer!|
I know this sounds like a story of woe but I actually REALLY LOVED the whole process! Every morning I would rush outside excited to see what grew in the garden! I started the garden way too late in the season and had no plan to it--just grabbed all the organic seeds left at the Lowe's & bought a few baby herbs, tomato & pepper plants because that was all the garden center had left! I'm very proud to report that I also built a chicken wire enclosure to protect the two beds & incorporated deer netting as well (we don't have deer but we do have squirrels!)--I did it all with my own two little hands :-) Well my hands aren't that little! But I was very proud to discover these unknown skills!!
This year I'm organized. I am picking out seeds to order, making a chart of where I want things and expanding the size of the garden. At least I knew last year how to prep the beds (I gardened with my Mom when I was little so I remember that!) so the beds are looking lovely in this second season! (I hope none of those pests and diseases are able to stay in the soil through winter??!)
Its a bit cold to start planting but I would love some advice from all you seasoned folk on any or all of the following questions!
1) Which vegetables do you think are the easiest to grow? What are YOUR favorite veggies to grow?
2) Have you ever grown from Heirloom seeds? Are they more difficult to grow than regular seeds?
3) Any favorite seed companies to buy from?
4) Any gardening books or resources to recommend? I have a ton but you know me, always want more to read!
5) Any advice on how to organically address those pest issues I mentioned above? I tried to catch the cucumber beetles and squash bugs and kill them, but couldn't keep up with the population!
6) I'm going to try to plant a flower bed this year as well--any tips or favorite varieties?
7) What can I do now inside to start growing the plants to put in the garden once its warm enough?
8) Any general gardening tips?
Beyond those questions I'd love to hear you share with me your gardening stories! Both successful and not so successful!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments section below.
Thanks in advance for your time and recommendations!!