Saturday, November 5, 2011

RECIPES: Soups Galore!!

I'm a big fan of soup--particularly when winter starts to creep ever closer!  Whether you are sitting in the sun out in the Southwest or cuddled by the fire in the Midwest & Northeast, November means that winter is here!  

Soup is a simple way to cook in bulk and have tons of yummy leftovers.  I'm VERY big on maximizing the number of meals we get out of everything we cook--cooking in bulk is the most efficient way for me to eat well and work the hours I work!  An extra bonus of soup is that it is an extraordinary money saver--it costs very little to make soup (particularly when you use inexpensive ingredients like squash, potatoes and dried beans) and it lasts forever! 
Delicious Homemade Split Pea Soup!!

Hilariously I had quite a grand scheme in mind to post a bunch of beautiful photos of all the soups we made last week but I experienced a small wrinkle:  when I went down to check our fridge, we were completely out of the fresh Butternut Squash Soup & Potato Leek Soup!  The only soup not completely consumed was the split pea soup--the largest batch of soup we made!!  So there you go--in our amazing disappearing kitchen I can treat you all to only a lovely photo of the split pea soup :-)

I'll post more recipe variations of my own in the coming weeks after I've tested them more thoroughly--of note, I'm not a chef!  I'm a doctor!  So when I say "recipes of my own" I really mean my own variations on other people's recipes! But for now, please enjoy some of my favorite blogger's soups:

1.  Dr. Esselstyn's son Rip (a triathlete & firefighter who has his own awesome cookbook:  The Engine 2 Diet) posted a fantastic directory of yummy soup recipes that are his favorites on the web: http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/soup/

2.  Another awesome blogger:  The Fat-free Vegan Kitchen has a fantastic recipe for Pumpkin and Roasted Corn Soup!  If you are short on time you can skip a few steps and use canned pumpkin:   http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/11/pumpkin-and-roasted-corn-soup.html 

3.  The Happy Herbivore (beautiful recipes and great nutrition facts) has a wonderful recipe for Red Lentil Curry Soup! I'm never one to pass up a good curry! http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/red-lentil-curry-soup/

Enjoy!!

Next timePAIN: How to Treat Everything from Arthritis to Fibromyalgia With Food

Coming Soon: 
  • RECIPES: Applesauce (sugar free!!)
  • How To Get The BEST Medical Care: Tips to Patients from a Doc

The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...