Sunday, November 6, 2011

RECIPES: APPLESAUCE (Sugar-free!!)

Ok so I make applesauce pretty much every weekend.  Yes, it is a bit of an obsession but its just so yummy!!!  This recipe is something I adapted to be "sugar-free"--its a variation on this delicious cranberry-applesauce my stepmother used to make.  The trick to keeping it sweet but sugar-free is adding pears!  

It is very simple and produces a large amount for a low cost (my kind of cooking!). You can make this recipe with other fruits-- I made "pearsauce" two weeks ago and my husband, The Happy Nurse, was in heaven (he LOVES pears).  I usually serve it as a dessert for myself covered with oat milk and toasted oats (I toast them myself in the oven) .YUMMMMMM!

 As noted before--I'm not a chef!  So my variations on other folk's recipes won't happen too often--I prefer to showcase some favorite recipes from other blogs...but for now:

Applesauce (Sugar-free)
Makes 8-12 servings

8-10 apples (or more--I usually put in as much as I can fit in the pot!) {Golden Delicious apples are best, but I'm making today's batch with the Braeburn apples you see in the photo}
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Asian pears (if you want it even sweeter use a ripe Bartlett pear)

1. Roughly chop all the apples and the pears (removing the cores)--I usually quickly cut each apple into quarters and then halve the quarters.  Leave the skins on
2.  Put the apples and pears in a large pot
3.  Add water to the pot, filling it until approximately 3/4 of the apples & pears are covered with water.
4.  Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer slowly while covered. 
5.  Add 1 Tsp Cinnamon.  Add a little water as needed to prevent burning if that becomes an issue.

Apples (left) compared to Asian Pears (right)
6.  Let the applesauce simmer for 1-2 hours until all the apples have completely cooked down and the apple skins are soft.  Add more cinnamon per your own taste.  
7.  Make sure you stir every so often to prevent the apples on the bottom of the pot from burning.  Add a little water as needed to prevent burning if that becomes an issue.  You also may need to scoop a little of the water off depending on how "liquidy" you like your applesauce!
8.  Let sauce cool.  
9.  I serve the sauce without pureeing it--I like the texture of the apple skin because it reminds me of apple pie!  But if you prefer you can also puree it and it will taste more like store-bought applesauce.



Next time:  PAIN: How to Treat Everything from Arthritis to Muscle Strain to Fibromyalgia With Food

Coming up:
  • COOKING IN BULK TIPS #1!  This week with recipes from The Happy Herbivore 
  • How To Get The BEST Medical Care: Tips to Patients from a Doc
  • RECIPES & Ideas:  Snacks!  YUMMY & Portable Plant-based Snack Food--all Sugar-free, Gluten-Free, & Without Added Oils or Fat!!
The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...