Saturday, November 12, 2011

I've fallen in LOVE with my NEW Happy Herbivore Cookbook!!!

Ok so if you can't tell by my posts so far, I'm just a little bit of an enthusiastic person! :-)  My patients like it--some of them find it a bit amusing (particularly my geriatric patients)--but so much of medicine is coaching so I think this character trait helps me do my job well.  


That said, prepare yourself for a massive flow of enthusiastic energy because I just got Lindsay Nixon's cookbook, "The Happy Herbivore Cookbook," from Amazon yesterday & it is probably one of the most useful, simple & well-organized cookbooks I've ever seen or owned.  My husband, The Happy Nurse, & I sat on the couch last night flipping through it & we both found so many recipes that we love (and look super easy).  The section in the beginning about what to stock your pantry with & how to substitute for fat in recipes is worth the $11 it cost us!  Since we've already tried her recipes from her blog before, we know that her creations are yummy so we can't wait to start tag-team cooking these!


I realize that you all may become a little Happy Herviore-ed out after reading my next post on a Sample Bulk Cook using The Happy Herbivore's blog recipes--but I couldn't stop myself from writing about this cookbook because I'm so impressed.  From a health standpoint, you couldn't do any better (nutritional info on EVERY recipe is listed!)


The other cookbook I love that is in the same league with this one is Vegan on the Cheap (hellloooo I'm a doctor--I'm drowning in student loan debt!) but the only issue with Robin Robertson's cookbook is that I do have to do a lot of modifications substituting out oil so since "The Happy Herbivore Cookbook is nearly totally oil-free--I'm in food planning HEAVEN!  Combining Robin's money saving tips with Lindsey's recipes--awesome.


Now three months into the Esselstyn program (on top of seven months of Gluten-free, Sugar-free, Anti-Inflammatory food choices on my part), we have to admit that we've been getting a bit tired of recycling the recipes from Dr. Esselstyn's book & the Forks Over Knives Cookbook.  We need more variety--so to have an ENTIRE cookbook of yummy Vegan, No-fat/Low-fat recipes to supplement our recipes from other favorite bloggers (Fat Free VeganHealthy Girl's KitchenVegan PlanetThe Healthy Librarian) is just SUCH a bonus!  


This is not to say that Ann Esselstyn & the Forks Over Knives recipes aren't fantastic--they are absolutely delicious & we've been happily eating them--but after recycling the recipes over and over again, you do get a bit tired of the same thing!  And my husband doesn't like a bunch of things--like onions--so that eliminates a bunch of the Esselstyn recipes as options!:-(


So I'm going to strongly encourage all of you to pop over to Amazon (my favorite method of book buying) & spend $11 on this cookbook (The Happy Herbivore Cookbook).  Her new cookbook "The Everyday Happy Herbivore" comes out December 6--so that is something to look forward to as well!


Next Time:  Cooking in Bulk Example:  A Week of Recipes from The Happy Herbivore


Coming Up!:
  • PAIN: How to Heal with Food (Part 2)
  • How To Get The BEST Medical Care: Tips to Patients from a Doc
  • RECIPES & Ideas: Snacks!  YUMMY & Portable Plant-Based Snack Food--all sugar-free, gluten-free & without adding oil or fat!!
  • SuperImmunity Foods for KIDS (Calling All PARENTS!!)

The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Lindsay! There is nothing more awesome than writing a post about a fantastic cookbook & then having the cookbook author comment on your post!! :-)

    I passed the info on your cookbook & website/blog on to my sister & she made your gorgeous Blueberry Cake for breakfast a few days ago (she texted me photos and it looked delicious!) So now your food is becoming a family affair :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...