Wednesday, February 1, 2012

RECIPES: My Own Butternut Squash Soup!

Asian Pear! :-)
Ok I don't share recipes of my own very often but this is super easy and OH SO YUMMY!! :-)

Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 4-6 Servings

Ingredients::
1 butternut squash
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbl cinnamon (optional)
2 Asian pears
4-6 cups vegetable broth (we use Trader Joe's brand)
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


1)  Cut the butternut squash in half with a sharp knife and scoop out the seeds.
2)  Place the butternut squash soft side down in a glass casserole dish with 1 inch of water in the base.  (if I'm in a hurry, I'll cut the squash into smaller pieces than just the half because it takes a lot less cooking time!)
3)  Cook in Oven for 30mins-1 hour (depending on the size of the squash) until the flesh of the squash is soft and can be EASILY "mashed" down with a spoon
4)  Let the squash cool
5)  While the squash cools, finely chop up 2 Asian Pears (leave the skin on) and put into a big soup pot with 4 cups vegetable broth
6)  Scoop out the insides into a bowl and thoroughly puree the squash--if its cooked right this should be simple to do with a basic mixing spoon rather than a food processor or electric mixer--if its too hard the squash may need more baking time! (Sometimes I make this a 2 step process--I bake the squash one night, scoop out the insides into a ziploc bag once it has cooled and then make the soup in the next few day).  
7)  Add 1/2 tsp nutmeg (I usually add a bit more than this--I put the first 1/2 tsp in and then taste the soup after it gets going and since I like nutmeg, if I can't taste the nutmeg--I add more!)
8)  Add 1 Tbl cinnamon (I sometimes add more than 1 Tbl--I like cinnamon!)
9)  Bring the soup to a boil and then turn down to simmer for approximately 15-20 mins (alternatively you can cook the whole thing in a slow cooker!)
10)  Enjoy!
                The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...