Saturday, December 24, 2011

RECIPES: My Own Potato-Leek Soup! :-)

Ok so I'm a bit nervous about this post because I really don't have a super amount of confidence in my own vegan cooking skills & I've never written a recipe before but....I'm going to take a courageous leap!!  I won't do this often (remember, I'm a doctor NOT a chef!) but here is my recipe for my very own Potato-Leek Soup :-) (a version of Ann Esselstyn's Potato Soup from Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease):

Potato-Leek Soup (reminds me of the potato leek soup made by my Mom when I was little! It tastes like POTATOES and NOT cream!)
Makes 4-6 servings
i
1 pound potatoes--Yukon Gold and Red Russet are best
1 Leek
1 cup Oat Milk
1/4-1 cup water
1-2 Tbl dry Dill
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Wash the potatoes and leave the skins on.  Chop them up and put them in a big pot.  Fill the pot with water up until the potatoes are just floating off the bottom of the pot.  Boil the potatoes until the potatoes can be easily mashed in with a fork--usually about 20 mins.  
2.  While the potatoes are boiling, cut the bottom off the leek and thoroughly wash all the leek fronds.  Chop each frond into approximately ¼-1/2 inch pieces.
3.  Place the fronds in a frying pan and sauté in about 3 Tbl water (or vegetable broth) until the pieces are soft and brown-tinged. Add more water (or vegetable broth) as needed to maintain the sauté.
4.  Once the potatoes are done, drain off the water
5.   Put the cooked potatoes, the sauteed leeks (including the leeks’ sautéing water/broth) and 1/4 cup of water in a food processor and puree.  While pureeing add the cup of Oat milk, 1Tbl Dill and the salt & pepper.  If the soup is too chunky for your taste, thin it with more water.  Feel free to use more oat milk to increase creaminess or more dill (I use a LOT more dill because I LOVE dill)!
6.  Either transfer the now pureed soup back into a pot to heat up OR if it is still warm enough--serve directly from the food processor!


Ok!  Hope it turns out yummy for you too!  My husband loves it so its a winner in my book :-)


Merry Christmas Eve to all those that celebrate it!  



Coming Up After the Holidays:
  • SuperImmunity for Kids ~Part 2~!
  • A Truly Healthy New Year
  • Medical System TuesdayTip #10 For The Best Hospital Care:  Try Not to Be Alone! ~ Insider Tips on How to Get the BEST Medical Care in the Hospital ~
  • Sleep, Why it is Critical to Our Health!
  • Treating Pain with Food--more thoughts
The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try your version, Dr. Cat. I like that it is a simple recipe. Thanks for posting that for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christy!! Hope it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...