Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mind-Body Healing: "29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life"--JOIN THE CHALLENGE! (AND links to my first blogging experience!)

Well I've been wanting to blog about "29 Gifts" for several weeks--this book is just such an incredible example of the power of the mind-body connection.  It is a true story of hope & healing written by Cami Walker, a young woman living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  In the midst of a horrible MS flare which forces her to become nearly home-bound,  Cami embarks on a challenge to give 29 gifts away in 29 days. Along the way her body begins to heal itself--giving her a new, more active life.  Her gifts are sometimes as small as a phone call or rubbing her kitty's belly but they change her life in a major way.  


Her path to giving was initiated by a South African medicine woman, Mbali Creazzo.  If you remember from this week's Monday Meditation on "Overgiving" Mbali's wise words are an inspiration to us all.  Beyond what I shared in the Meditation, Mbali also says "Giving of any kind is taking a positive action that begins the process of change.  It will shift your energy for life."  That shifting of energy is the magic of healing in the face of all medical science.  It is the mystery that happens when the mind & spirit begin to heal the broken body. 


Maybe its easier for me to believe Cami's story & her remarkable recovery because as a doctor I see it everyday.  For example, I have a patient right now on the Spinal Cord Injury unit who told me when I admitted him that every night since the injury he closes his eyes & visualizes moving his feet.  On Wednesday this last week, he moved his right foot.  On Thursday, he was able to lift his leg.  This is a miraculous recovery from an injury that should not be healing this quickly.  We expected him to regain function but not like this.  Not this fast and definitely not this widespread!  The therapists actually came to find me on the unit to take me to the gym to witness this incredible feat.  This is the power of the mind & spirit over the body.  And it exists in ALL of us if we are willing to reach into our hearts to find it.  Giving to others without the resentment of "overgiving" allows us to tap into this mind-body connection in a profound and extraordinary way.  It is a pipeline straight to healing.


I cannot recommend this book enough--and if you are still searching for a gift to give someone, let me tell you, this is the one!  


Cami has taken her book even further to create an online community of giving that spans the whole world (15,800 people!).  You can join the "29 Day Giving Challenge" and blog about the experience yourself at www.29gifts.org.  I hope you do!  You don't even have to buy the book to join--its all free!  If you DO join the challenge--put the address of your blog in the comments section of this post so I can follow it!!


And, if you want to see some of my first attempts at blogging:  I did the challenge myself in Spring, 2010 and you can see my blog at: Dr. Cat's 29 Day Giving Challenge Blog.  All 29 days are there--here is my Day 1, you can link to my other posts by clicking on "View Blog"!:-) I think my two favorite posts from the challenge were Day 9: Two Wolves & Letting Go and Day 10: The Tow Truck Man:-).  I injured my back pretty badly halfway through the challenge but didn't quit and surprise, surprise as I continued to give, my recovery was more rapid than expected! Its fun for me to look back at the blog and read about each gift I gave and how it changed me.  I intended to renew the challenge at the end of the 29 days but wasn't able to carve the time out to blog about it so it sadly drifted off--I think I'll start again in 2012!!  


This book was a gift from my wonderful husband and I'm so grateful he introduced it into to my life!  I hope you feel the same way when you read it! :-)



Coming Up:
  • Best of the Blogsphere for THIS week!
  • What the Happy Nurse & I are Making for Christmas Dinner (x 2 houses!)
NEXT WEEK from December 19-December 25th: 
  • ITS THE HOLIDAY HAPPINESS MARATHON!!!  Doctors, Nurses & Patients Share Special Medical Moments That Will Warm Your Heart During the Holiday Chaos!
Coming Up After the Holidays:
  • SuperImmunity for Kids ~Part 2~!
  • Medical System TuesdayTip #10 For The Best Hospital Care:  Try Not to Be Alone! ~ Insider Tips on How to Get the BEST Medical Care in the Hospital ~
  • Treating Pain with Food--more thoughts
The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.  Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition. The Happy Rehab Doc expressly disclaims responsibility, and shall have no liability, for any damages, loss, injury, or liability whatsoever suffered as a result of your reliance on the information contained in this site.  By visiting this site you agree to the foregoing terms and conditions.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your 29 Day Giving Challenge!
    And I ordered the book. (Between you and the Healthy Librarian my resolution not to buy new books is somewhat shaken.
    But anyway: can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I know you'll love it! The first chapter is a bid sad but from there on out you cannot believe how wonderful and hopeful her story is:-)

    Thanks SO much for the kind words about my giving challenge! It was during a very busy time in my training and the gifts made such a difference to lift my spirits! If you liked my stories, check in all this week (Dec 19-25) for my Holiday Happiness Marathon--inspiring medical stories of gratitude!!:-))

    I totally relate on the book buying resolution! And the Healthy Librarian broke my resolution too!!:-)) just got that Words of Wisdom book in the mail and can't wait to read it!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...